Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Why I wrote my book


I published a book on September 24th, 2009 entitled "Cash in on the Obama $3 Trillion Spending Plan! How to make large amounts of money by conducting business with or receiving grants from federal, state, and local governments." My book is a complete, step-by-step guide to winning government business and receiving grants. With the passage of President Barack Obama’s historic stimulus bill, there’s never been a better time to do business with the government. The book is available through Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com and soon at major brick and mortar bookstores.

One of the most frequent questions I get asked is “Why did you write this book?”
In 1990, after I retired from the United States Air Force, I began writing proposals on a free lance basis. I did not have any training on writing proposals other than the fact that working for the Air Force, I had reviewed many proposals and had some idea about what the government wants when it issues a Request for Proposal. I was very lucky in my proposal writing career. The first proposal I wrote helped my client win a $130 million contract to maintain aircraft at the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training wing at Sheppard AFB, Texas.

After winning a few more, I knew I was on to something. So I began to analyze what I was doing that seemed to enable me to write proposals which the government deemed technically excellent. I then begun to organize my approach and developed a technique which helped my write proposals that met the government’s requirements. My clients did not win all the contracts but the government always gave the proposals high marks. For many years, I worked on proposals and passed along my techniques to those people with whom I worked.

I have often worked with smaller businesses to help them get started in obtaining government business. I was used to the process because I had worked with it in the Air force and I was surprised to find how many people found it daunting to cut through the red tape and become qualified to win government business.

In early 2009, with the economy in bad shape, I noted that many more people were interested in the mechanics of doing business with the government.

I thought about doing this book for years but always felt I was too busy to spend the time to write it.
When the downturn hit and the economy was on the verge of collapse, more people became interested in doing business with the government. After surveying the literature, I determined there wasn’t a good step by step guide to help people unravel the bureaucratic morass you have to cut your way through to do business with the government.

So I decided to write the book which gave people a step by step guide to doing business with the government. I also included in my book some of the techniques which have helped me write good, solid technical proposals and grant requests for my clients.

My book has sold moderately well and now there seems to be some interest by people in buying the Kindle edition, which you can download at Amazon.com/
Also, I have a website (http://flowingwaterpress.com )where people can download this book plus a novella I wrote in 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment